Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Take me away?




It was a perfectly wonderful day, but at 7:30pm, the dog threw up on the living room rug, the boys were chasing each other around screaming, one hit is head on a door frame - more screaming, I was cleaning a frying pan covered with stuck-on scrambled eggs when my husband came into the kitchen angrily waving a dentist's bill in his hand and, I kid you not, the thought "Calgon, take me away" crossed my mind.

That was random. I haven't thought about those commercials in decades.

Then -more screaming - our 7 year old cut his leg and needed 5 stitches.

Since there was no chance I was getting myself into a bathtub overflowing with Calgon bubbles, I needed another coping mechanism. Calgon is a good and cheesy example of advertising that points us to some solution outside of ourselves that will fix what's wrong. I reminded myself that I didn't need to be taken away and that nothing was wrong. I needed to be there for my son in a calm and loving way without trauma or drama. I tapped into my being and let appropriate action follow. Being is so practical that way. So, no swimming or bathing for 5 days, and all is well.

Just for fun, I did find an old Calgon commercial on YouTube and while I was there found the Calgon laundry detergent commercial too... "Ancient Chinese Secret, huh?" -- the classics.

No comments: