Wednesday, May 20, 2009

becoming


The message "just be" is difficult to understand, which is ironic since it sounds as if it should be the easiest thing we ever don't do.

I believe people are resistant to even attempt a lifestyle of being because there is way too much to do. Not just on their daily to do list, but on their life list of goals and dreams. If I am just being, I will never accomplish or experience all of those things I've been working towards and I don't want to give that up.

But I've learned something about being. Once you are in the moment, you are perfectly poised to take action. The purpose of being in the moment is to connect with your deepest, truest self and then take action from that vantage point. Being isn't the destination, it's the starting line. The great truth to be discovered is that if we commit to the practice of being, we will have more vitality and enthusiasm for what we're doing than ever before. And the actions we take from that place will always lead us in the right direction.

Further, we could not be static no matter how hard we tried. Our nature is perpetual expansion. Regression is impossible. We are, at all times, becoming.

I do love a paradox.

There is a 2 week long retreat this July in Tuscany called "Being and Becoming" from the people at Enlightennext. The first week is about being, concentrating on the traditional pursuit of enlightenment through the study and practice of transcending the ego and connecting to consciousness. The second week is about becoming or what they call "consciousness in action." Meaning, you've done the spiritual work to be, so now what? How can one live a spiritual lifestyle and use access to higher consciousness to serve the world in the best way possible?

I think this sounds amazing and I respect Enlightennext as an organization and their mission to promote the conscious creation of a better future. I believe the work they are doing is pioneering in the field of spiritual development. They are exploring and teaching on the leading edge.

If this was a long weekend in New York I would have been one of the first people to sign up. But it is 2 weeks in Italy in the middle of the summer and costs over $4,000 so it goes on my list of things I will do when my children are older. It's a long list. But for anyone interested, you can get the details here.


the cover of the latest issue of enlightennext magazine and photo above from everydaymoments.

No comments: