Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Gone Gardening


That's where I've been. Enjoying every moment of it.

For the first time, I made the decision to enjoy the process of gardening. Sometimes simply deciding to be, and enjoy being while you're at it, is all it takes. As a result, I have enjoyed even the clearing out, cutting back, raking and weeding that I usually just endure or skim over to get to the fun of arranging new plants in the ground, containers and window boxes. Using the straightforward method of sensory awareness, I brought myself into the present moment by listening to the sounds of birds and my children playing, smelling every herb and flower and feeling the sensations of my hands and wellies in the dirt. I had a moment where I considered that there might not be anything in the world more beautiful than the dark rich color of freshly turned soil ( just high on life, I swear. )

Gardening is truly good for the body, mind and spirit. There's lots to do, there's lots to know and there's lots of opportunities to stop and smell the roses.

Remember that song by Mac Davis? While the rest of us had posters of Donny Osmond in his purple socks on our wall, my sister had Mac Davis. Uh huh. I could not make that up. Anyway, here's some lyrics from his song:

Where you going in such a hurry
Don't you think it's time you realized
There's a whole lot more to life than work and worry
The sweetest things in life are free
And there right before your eyes

You got to Stop and Smell the roses
You've got to count your many blessings everyday

3 comments:

LynnOnline said...

Okay, you've just taken touchy-feely to new heights.... were you inhaling too much fertilizer? heehee kidding. I need to apply that same sense of beingness to wallpaper removal. But it's haaaard. Wet, stubborn paste is just not as inspiring as freshly-churned earth. I'm "this" close to reaching for a sledgehammer. Any advice for me?

Amy A said...

Leslie -- happy anniversary. I so love your blog. Certainly I am very very far from "be"-ing, alot more doing, yelling and running after little girls is more like it. But love to read what I can aspire to. Hope you and Ross are celebrating the wonderful couple that you are!

LynnOnline said...

wow! Your sister was enlightened at an early age, huh? : )