Monday, May 5, 2008

Claim your Space


I feel so fortunate to have, at my gym, an amazing yoga teacher, Julianne. She teaches once a week and if I miss her class, it leaves a dent. Last class, as she was talking us through a pose, she told us to "fill up your mat - fill up the space you came here to fill." Anyone who practices yoga knows that what is happening on the mat is a reflection of life off the mat. Don't ask me how, it's magic. And while Julianne was telling us where to place our hands and feet in class, she was also using her yoga teacher voodoo to make us see life a little differently when we walked out the door. (Is this just me? Does anyone else have a yoga teacher voodoo story? Please share.)

Anyway, I've been thinking about my space ever since. Thinking about what I came here to fill it with and picturing myself putting my shoulders back, standing up straight and expanding to full capacity. I like the feeling I get when I think about it. It's like looking at one of those well designed urban apartments in a magazine where every bit of square footage has been thoughtfully considered. That's my goal - no holding back, no playing small, no wasted space.

Thanks Julianne!

No comments: