Friday, August 22, 2008

Summertime, and the being is easy

I'm at the beach in Rhode Island with my family this week. I don't have much to write because I'm too busy enjoying being here, now (that is so much easier when you're on vacation!) I will share this quote from a great Martha Beck article I read in the September issue of O magazine while sitting in my beach chair:

"You need to drop the perceptual lens that says, 'Impressing others will make me happy.' A joyful life isn't about others; it's about the brightness that is associated with being alive. Your path to it is through anything that replaces thinking with pure flight, pure joy."

I experienced pure joy while taking a walk on the beach with my two sons yesterday. In between finding stones and crab skeletons in the sand, they eagerly held my hands, one each, and skipped down the beach. At 6 & 7 years old, I don't now how many more times that is going to happen, so I felt the joy of every second of it.

Here's to your pure joy.

1 comment:

Seabird Boracay said...

Your powerful insights are very inspiring to me. Learning to love myself and accept myself is a road i've been traveling all my life. I will definately keep reading. Thanks for sharing.