Monday, November 3, 2008

Radical Political Perspective

I just returned from voting. I took a magazine with me anticipating long lines, but I live in a small town and in NY, not a battleground state, so I was in and out in minutes. Still, as I stepped into the booth I felt a rush; I felt grateful be an American, grateful for the power of democracy. It has been easy to get caught up in the excitement generated during this presidential race. It's easy to be distracted by the emphasis on the historic and critical significance of this election. But I've tried to remain focused on what I know is true -- no matter who becomes the next President of the United States, the quality of my life remains entirely within my own control. The peace, freedom, unity and prosperity I experience, or not, is a reflection of who I am being. I will not give away that control. And I will not hold them responsible for my well being. I will remember that the change I wish to see out in the world is created when I become that change.

I realize this is a big vote for little old me, yet it comes not from a place of apathy or flippant disregard for our federal government. It comes from an intense, deeply rooted desire to make the world a better place and a growing understanding of the only real way that's ever going to happen.

3 comments:

LynnOnline said...

Right on sista! This election really brought out my icky desire to be "right" and insist that others are "wrong". It challenged my intention of acceptance and I found myself fearing what it would mean for me and the world if radical change did not prevail. Then I reminded myself that true happiness cannot be dictated by anyone else. Peace, unity, change....it all begins inside. : )

Julia said...

nicely said.Maybe you should run for president?

Julia said...

nicely said.Maybe you should run for president?