Thursday, November 6, 2008

So...



Link I get my photo taken with Martha Stewart and I have to make crazy eyes? Why??? Why did I have to make crazy eyes?!? A slightly better photograph of me from the same event was on Martha's blog here.

Let's face it, I just wanted to post this photo, but the occasion is actually worth mentioning. It was taken at a dinner for the 10th Anniversary of the Native Plant Center at Westchester Community College near where I live. My friend (also in photo) asked me to get involved and I have become so impressed with their mission: to spread the word about the importance of native plants. Who knew?!

I love simple, practical, "that just makes a ton of sense" knowledge such as - when you use plants in your yard that are native to your geography, it has incredible environmental benefits. Native plants require less water, fertilizer, pesticides and general maintenance. They support entire ecosystems including food and habitats for birds, bees, butterflies and other animal life that is native to the area in which you live. Conversely, non-native plants can be invasive and destroy habitats. Understanding this provides one way to live more in harmony with your surroundings and it can be as environmentally important as recycling or attempting to get better gas mileage. Martha practices and promotes the use of native plants, which is why she was given the "Acorn Award" at this event and which she writes about on her blog.

You can go here to find out what plants are native where you live.

photo taken by Thomas V. O'Connell

4 comments:

Prof. Prose said...

Do you have any inspirational stories?

Julia said...

your the best looking one in that picture!!!!

Anonymous said...

HA! Well, I guess crazy eyes with Martha is better than no "with" Martha at all . . . looks like fun in Westchester Co.!

Unknown said...

Oh Leslie, you still look fab! Crazy eyes or not! And I agree with Laurie...crazy eyes w/ Martha is better than the alternative!