Tuesday, July 7, 2009

In 1991, just before graduation from college, I had an interview for what would have been my first real, full-time, big deal, job. During the interview I was asked to speak about an important figure in American culture. I chose Michael Jackson. Yes I did. I spoke about how he was using his fame and power for good, bringing positive messages to the masses. I specifically mentioned the importance of the lyrics to "Man in the Mirror," a song I love-love-loved. I really believed they would appreciate this bold response and feel they needed my youthful and fresh perspective in their organization... it probably wont surprise you to find out I did not get the job.

I remember being confused by the look of horror on my parents' faces when I mentioned my response to them. My mother's eyes glazed over and I was pretty sure I heard her mumbling "why not Eleanor Roosevelt?" under her breath as she walked away, convinced the educational system had failed me.

It was not much later that Michael Jackson's behavior and appearance started changing in extreme and strange ways. When the first accusations of mistreatment of a child were brought against him, I was devastated. How could I have been so wrong? I could no longer listen to his music without cringing from embarrassment about my severely misguided admiration. I'm so naive. I should have paid more attention in history class. Please God do not let that interviewer remember me and my ridiculous answer...

Fast forward 18 years and several jobs later...I'm taking a spin class and "Man in the Mirror" is in the mix. Unable to avoid it, I listened to the lyrics once again. By the end of the song I'm on a full, standing, spin-dance, I don't care who's looking, high. Those lyrics are amazing. I do love them. I was right. What a visionary I was. Screw that interviewer.

Not only that, I reveled in the realization that all these years later I still believe the lyrics represent one of the most important lessons in life,
I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you want to make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself then make a change
In fact, I've created a business based on that same message :
You can only be responsible for yourself. It starts inside. Be the change.

Michael Jackson had moments of greatness and moments of shame, as we all do to our own extent. So be it. Let's choose to focus on the good. Shake your body down to the ground.

2 comments:

LynnOnline said...

Beautiful!! I never really knew the lyrics to that song but always liked it. I have a greater appreciation for MJ now that the focus has turned to him. His accomplishments and humanitarian efforts (Heal the World!) left behind a more positive impact on the planet than most of us could ever dream to.

Julia said...

Wow, a new perspective I hadn't ever thought about, thank you.