Monday, March 24, 2008

Gandhi Started It


I first encountered Gandhi’s quote “be the change you wish to see in the world” 11 years ago. It was painted on a wall at the Greater Boston Food Bank where I had just spent two hours sorting canned goods that would be distributed to local shelters. The volunteer coordinator thanked us all for our efforts that evening and for “being the change.” Maybe I had heard that quote before, but this was a galvanizing moment. This time I got it. My body, mind and spirit came to attention, and I heard something I had been waiting to hear. More likely, I heard something I had known all along: if I want to change the world, I have to be the change.

What does it mean to be when we are so used to doing? Who and what am I being in this world? Who do I want to be? Who do I have the potential to become? And how do I just be and allow it to perfectly unfold? I believe these are the most important questions anyone can ask and I believe the asking is as powerful, if not more, than finding the answers. It’s starting to sink in that, if I let them, the answers will gently, easily and with impeccable timing, reveal themselves to me on a need-to-know basis. Seriously, what more could I ask for?

No comments: