Friday, January 30, 2009

Excuse me while I incubate

From wikipedia:

incubation is one of the 4 proposed stages of creativity: preparation, incubation, illumination, and verification . Incubation is defined as a process of unconscious recombination of thought elements that were stimulated through conscious work at one point in time, resulting in novel ideas at some later point in time.

I like this reasoning for my lack of posts so much better than admitting to laziness and procrastination or blaming winter blues brought on by constant freezing temperatures, kid's snow days, sick days and a lack of sunshine.

Sometimes I just don't feel inspired and I'm trying to let that be ok. Even better, I'm trying to choose an interpretation that feels powerful such as anticipating the creativity that's sure to result from this dormant phase.

Have a wonderful weekend.

6 comments:

LJ said...

enjoy...just BE! If that includes NOT WRITING, so BE it. Just a friendly reminder...

Anonymous said...

I like this take on "not doing" and will take it with me! Yes, I too am "incubating" - hopefully just creativity - no flu virus . . .

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of incubation, as I sometimes feel guilty for not posting very substantial posts. But the way I see it, not writing anything is better than forcing something that isn't very inspired. :)

LynnOnline said...

AHA! So THAT'S what I've been doing for the last three years! Can't wait to see what sprouts...it better be good.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for inspiring me to be uninspired. I would much rather consider myself in an incubation process, than a creative or depressed vortex. UGH. Love coming to you to see it like it is.Love you xoxoxo
M

Julia said...

I love your headlines!!!!! too funny!