Monday, June 8, 2009

Does the World need another t-shirt?

This is a question that runs through my mind often. No, I think, the world doesn't. And that's what I use to justify my stuckness, the denial of what calls me. Because, the truth is, I love t-shirts. I might go as far as saying I'm passionate about them. I love that they are a simple, pervasive, universal garment that can be used as a means of self-expression. And, when designed and worn right, can be downright stylish. And just about everyone can afford one, so they are a fashion equalizer.

I felt this way when I started the be line. And I feel this way now as I work on ideas for the beU bookstore.

My sister introduced me to this quote which is one of the most profound ideas I've ever contemplated:

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what this world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman

Designing t-shirts that express the rootsy, soulful voice of spirit is what makes me come alive. So be it.

2 comments:

LynnOnline said...

AMEN sista. oxox

Julia said...

love it! design away!!!!!!!!!